Questions? AskAuckland

The Joyce, Lady Waters School of Chemical Sciences

School services and facilities

The School of Chemical Sciences offers you several services and facilities.


  • Glassblowers
  • Electronics workshop
  • Chemistry stores (login required)
  • Mechanical workshop

You should check with your supervisor before discussing a job with a service section. Orders to these services require a requisition form – signed by your supervisor.


Major school facilities

  • NMR spectrometers
  • Raman/far IR spectrometer
  • X-ray diffractometers (Powder and single chrystal)
  • Thermal analysis
  • GC-MS, LC-MS
  • XPS-Auger, Scanning and Transmission Electron Microscopy (engineering)
  • Mass spectrometer
  • Pulse/steady state radiolysis
  • Microfabrication
  • Pulsed laser facilities
  • Food characterisation (Rheometry, particle size)

Users of these instruments require specialised training, and you must be checked out as an operator prior to use. Other facilities belong to a section or an individual staff member, and you must see the technician or staff member in charge before using.



School photocopiers are available on the 5th floor. A swipe card is required for operation, please check with your supervisor regarding access. Note that staff and teaching jobs have priority on department copiers.



For computer access, please consult with your supervisor. Email access is permitted for research students, however, full Internet access must be authorised by a supervisor.


Research costs

Your supervisor will pay for all approved research-related costs. PhD students are provided with PRESS accounts to support research and for conference travel. If you present a paper at a national or international conference, the school may be approached for a small contribution towards conference expenses. This usually applies to PhD students only.



With your supervisor’s permission, you may be issued with a swipe card for after-hours access. It is very important that you do not let others into the building on your card. Unisafe officers can be reached 24 hours a day by calling 85000 on the internal phone line. Tell someone if you observe suspicious behaviour in or around the building. Be careful with personal belongings in the building, even in locked labs.


Common room

Postgraduate Chemistry students have access to both the common rooms located on the 5th and 6th Floor (Room 606) within the department. Tea, coffee, filtered water and a microwave oven are provided, but you need to bring your own mug, and take responsibility for cleaning up after yourself.



Pigeon holes for graduate students’ mail are on the 5th floor, just past Reception, sorted by alphabetical order. Please check the pigeonholes regularly.



Most research lab telephones are for internal calls only (they can receive but not make outside calls).



Entropy is the weekly school newsletter. It contains information on the coming week’s seminars, visitors, etc. It is circulated by email every week.


Staff Student Consultative Committee

The committee meets four times per year, and comprises staff and student representatives. You are encouraged to raise any issues with your representative or a staff member on the committee.