Questions? AskAuckland

School of Chemical Sciences

Food Science regulations

School regulations

The BSc in Food Science includes courses administered by several different schools or departments within the University, you should consult carefully with the respective Course Co-ordinators regarding specific requirements and regulations for assessment and attendance. Usually the assessed course work consists of tests and written assignments. In all cases course work is compulsory, because, whether assessed or not, it is regarded as an essential part of the teaching and your learning programme. Unassessed written assignments and problem solving courses may be crucial in assessing aegrotat cases or border-line cases in the final examination. In all cases if you are unable to complete the assessed course work for medical or other valid reasons you should inform the Course Co-ordinator.

  1. Practical work is compulsory and it is necessary to pass both the theory and the practical in order to pass these courses as a whole, in accordance with Bsc Regulations in the University Calendar.
  2. Attendance at tests and completion of problem assignments is compulsory for all internal students, in accordance with Examination Regulation 1(c) in the University Calendar: In order to be credited with a course, a candidate needs to have completed to the satisfaction of the examiners such oral, practical, written or other tests or assignments as have been prescribed for completion during the course.
  3. Any student unable to attend a test for medical or other valid reasons should inform the coordinator of the course. If you miss a test through illness or other similar circumstance, you must apply through the Registry for a formal “consideration for a written test” with a medical certificate, indicating your impairment or inability to sit a test on that day. Remember that you need a medical certificate obtained, if possible, on the day of the test.
  4. If you miss a compulsory laboratory through illness or other similar circumstance, you should also provide the course coordinator with a medical certificate, indicating your impairment or inability to attend the laboratory on that day.

Health and safety rules

All people, including students, are protected by the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992 and related legislation. As well as giving you protection, the Act also gives you responsibilities.

To work safely with chemicals you need to be informed of the hazards you are likely to meet. For first-year students you will be informed of these hazards by the staff and by warnings in the laboratory manuals. Thus it is essential to read all of the experimental instructions before coming to the laboratory.

Find more information on Health and safety.